Are you looking for a way to connect with neighbors while building community resilience? Want to share your skills and help build an alternative economy? If so, you’re in luck! You can join JP’s new Time Exchange! Membership is not limited to JP residents – anyone can join! *
What’s a Time Exchange? In a Time Exchange, members share skills and provide services for each other, such as cooking, sewing, carpentry, pet care, health care, and much more. When you provide an hour of service, you are credited with one “TimeHour” in your online account. You can use that Hour for services you need or want that other members are offering – like child care or reiki!
Time Exchanges, or Time Banks,” are popping up all over the place. Some better known ones are in Madison, WI, Portland, OR, Portland, ME, and our own local Time Trade Circle in Eastern Massachusetts. JP is a new member of the Time Bank community, and we need your help to make it a success!
Sound intriguing? Here are six reasons why you should sign up:
- Save money. Through the Time Exchange, you can access carpenters, massage therapists, educators, care-takers, and much more. Save money on these and a growing number of other essential (and non-essential!) services.
- Share your “under-valued” skills. You’ve got mad skills, even if the mainstream economy doesn’t value them. Maybe you can knit, dance, or bake. Maybe you’re a great companion or love planning parties. The Time Exchange can match these skills with those who need them.
- Reach new clients. Share your professional skills through the Time Exchange to reach new clients and spread the word about your services. (And get free access to all the good stuff the Time Exchange offers.)
- Meet neighbors and build community. Community connections can be hard to make. We live in an anonymous, impersonal, individualistic economy. Buck the trend and bring human relationships back into your exchanges.
- Live lightly. Support a low-carbon lifestyle by sourcing local and supporting the Do-It-Yourself–or better yet, Do-It-Ourselves–economy.
- Help create an alternative economy. For many of us, the mainstream economy isn’t working. It isn’t fair or sustainable. Let’s build something different – and a great way to start is with the JP Time Exchange.
Still not convinced? Check out this draft Time Exchange Vision Statement, written by members of the JP community. Or consider the words of JP time banker Molly Wexler, who says that time banking “is not just a tool, not even just a community, but a movement. It moves us away from seeing ourselves as purely individuals driven by the constant desire for more, and away from impersonal exchanges where money stands in for value. It moves us towards connecting with others through the giving and receiving of ourselves. It’s a movement where the exchange is of value in and of itself.”
* With blessing from the existing Cambridge-based Time Trade Circle (TTC), JP NET is starting a Time Exchange to focus on our membership and this neck of the woods. JP Time Exchange members can trade with TTC members by clicking on “Inter-Trade” in the software. It is also possible to join more than one time banks, and many people are members of both.
- JP Time Exchange Launches, by Jeanette Origel
- Mutual Aid and Time Banking in JP, A vision by JP Neighbors
- Time Trading is Taking off in JP, by Molly Wexler